Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Post-Boston Marathon: Pain, confusion, questions without answers

Like most Americans the news of the terrible bombing at the Boston Marathon left me stunned and saddened.

Senseless tragedies sweep into being and change lives. Forever.

Why? Why me? Why him? Why her? Questions survivors and victims' loved ones ask will never get a satisfactory answer. In a moment the rest of their days have changed. Their memories will divide time into "before" and "after."

Tears have come easily since I heard the awful news yesterday because I know what it's like to get a call and have someone tell you something you never imagined your family would have to deal with. An unexpected tragedy sweeps the rug out from beneath and leaves you stepping forward into a future without a loved one. I know the pain of grieving someone who was taken violently and unexpectedly.

It's hard. I've been praying for the broken survivors and the families that have been forever changed. I know that every step for a long while will feel like walking uphill on a rocky path.

But a truth I live with and cling to is this, "The Lord is close to the brokenhearted; He rescues those whose spirits are crushed." ~Psalm 34:18

Last night I was reading Lucille Zimmerman's new book Renewed, and she quoted a poem that I'm happy to share.


'Tis a fearful thing
To love
What death can touch.
To love, to hope, to dream,

And oh, to lose.
A thing for fools, this,
Love,
But a holy thing,
To love what death can touch.

For your life has lived in me;
Your laugh once lifted me;
Your word was a gift to me;

To remember this brings painful joy.

'Tis a human thing, love,
A holy thing,
To love
What death can touch.
                ~Judah Halevi, 12th Cent.

Isn't that wonderful? 

Lord, bless the people affected by this awful act. Be close to them and their loved ones. Let them be comforted by Your love, send helpers to them to ease their burden.

No comments: