Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Sometimes I take a trip on the crazy bus. How about you?

Okay, I'm going to put this out there: I'm an emotional woman.

Morguefile.com photo
Sometimes I let my emotions get the best of me and hop on the crazy bus. And then once I'm on that crazy bus I tend to stay aboard, holding tightly to the seat in front of me and swaying to the rises and dips and twists and turns as it carries me away.

Usually, before too much time passes, I'm able to realize I'm captive to my own emotions. I take the initiative and step off that bus back onto Reality Blvd.

That happened to me the other day. I was feeling blue and weary, feeling not particularly productive, and not really sure what my purpose was. I met a friend for coffee, and while listening to her, I realized I'm not alone. Other people feel blue and weary, not really sure what their purpose is.

Thank God for friends. If they're close enough to us, they often serve as a mirror--reflecting our doubts and insecurities, but also assuring us we're not really crazy. It's a relief to know I'm not the only one with insecurities and doubts. I'm not the only one who feels like the odd one out at times.

We talked, and I ended up praying with my friend. The amazing thing is that I had hoped to make her feel a little better, but as I drove home I realized that I also felt better. Part of my problem was that while I was riding my little crazy bus I didn't look around and realize that there were other passengers. We're not alone, friends.

The bottom line? Reach out to friends with love and prayers and assurances. Also, learn to give yourself a break -- treat yourself with the kindness you give to your friends.

That's a good plan. Don't you think?

No comments: