Thursday, February 05, 2015

How an Author Handles Doubts




Some days it’s difficult to feel confident about your writing. Fears pop up like dandelions after the first spring rain. 

Those worries and questions play on a loop in your brain:
  • Is this good enough to be published? 
  • Does it make sense? 
  • Will anyone want to read it? 
  • Do I sound ridiculous? 
  • Am I wasting my time? 
  • Will I ever be pleased with this project? 
And on and on and on . . .

I'm not the first writer to have these doubts. And I won't be the last.

Want to know how writers handle these doubts? 

They keep writing!

They remember what got them started in the first place. Look inside yourself. Recall the dream that pushed tender sprouts out of the soil of your heart. Recall the delight you experienced in claiming that big dream. Dig Deep to reclaim your passion again. 

Believe again!

It's not over until God says it's over. Start dreaming again. Start pursuing what God put in your heart. 

Listen, no one knows better than I how discouragement can creep up on you and squeeze the life out of your dreams. But if the Author of dreams has planted one in your heart, then don't give up!

As for me, I shall remain~
A Prisoner of Hope!



2 comments:

Annette R Burrell said...

Very encouraging. As a writer who is on the pursuit of a literary agent for my first novel this spoke to me. It's so true that if God plants the dream in your heart we shouldn't give up. And, it's all in His timing anyway. I started to write my novel about 15 years ago (although I had dreamed of it since I was a teenager). At that time, I wrote one page and said, "What am I doing? I don't know how to write a novel. This is hard." So I put it down. Then in 2012 God spoke to me very clearly. The God story is in my first nonfiction. I loved writing it so much I wrote 5 children's books (a series). During my journey I decided to retire from my real job so that I could pursue a writing career. I dusted off the draft "one pager" from 15 years ago and decided to give my dream another shot. It's currently being edited and turns out it's a trilogy. I'm thankful I put the thing aside so many years ago because I believe the story would have been quite different and probably not something I would have been proud to have written. At any rate, thanks for your encouraging words. Good luck with your future books and my God shine in your heart and reign down on the sprouts therein so that your work will continue to flourish.

Megan DiMaria said...

Thanks for your kind words, Annette. God bless your writing as well.